Pages

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Wednesday, 12 February 2014
 "Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time."

Me Before You is my first Jojo Moyes' book and until now I kept wondering how on earth a person can write a novel like this. Beautiful and clever.

This book is fast-paced. I don't really mind since Moyes detailed everything without detailing too much unimportant things and that's very okay. Narrated mostly by Lou Clark, there are three chapters where you'll get to see three different people narrating the story from their perspective. I sometimes found it a bit (really, a bit) confusing because at that time I haven't found out it was narrated by a different person and I'm still oblivious whether that person's pov ends already or not. Those three different people's perspectives (despite Lou's) are not in a row.
The characters are so real; everyone here's perfectly flawed. I love watching them interact, Lou and Will. I agree to the saying: "Sometimes their conversations were mundane, sometimes meaningful, often to the point of bickering cutely." And do not forget that this book is also packed with humor ―I even laugh along this book (I rarely laugh when I'm reading a book) and witty things. I can relate to Lou, wanting to change Will's point of view of the world, although sometimes I couldn't get into her head at all. There are also side-stories, like Lou and her boyfriend, Lou and her family, and etc.

Read this for a week though I'm pretty sure I didn't read it seven days in a row.

Last year, I saw one of my classmates reading this book and ask him whether it's a good book or not, and he said yes. He said he could lend me this book anytime I want and so I ask him to brought this on late January. He brought it to school and we had a little chat about it. (and had given me spoilers, thank you very much.)

Glad I gave this book a chance and it's a very nice read to start February. Jojo even replied to my tweet yessh.

4/5 stars. All hail, Jojo Moyes.

P.S: The ending is very satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. look interesting :D

    WWW.PUTRIVALENTINALIM.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete

Books and Stardust © 2014